First a very important rule: You will never be happy as long as you cannot be happy NOW. As long as you make your status of being happy dependent from anything in the future you are caught in the vicious cycle of wanting more and more. Apart from that you ride for a fall - life can easily throw a monkey wrench in your plans.
Second, an important note: On the way to perfect implementation of happiness there is a long time, a long way between - maybe your whole life. You should be glad of every small improvement.
So, here are my tips:
- Return to the present moment - more detailed help on returning to the present moment here:
- "In the present moment" (earlier post)
- "There is suffering" (earlier post)
- "The Single Secret to Making 2009 Your Best Year Ever" (Zenhabits)
- "A Time for Gratitude" (Zenhabits)
- Slow down
Urging at full speed through your life prevents you from enjoying any single moment of your life and reduces quality of whatever you are doing or trying to create. See also slowdownnow.org.
- Imagine, that everything that happens just flows through you instead of "affecting" you.
- Imagine, that no suffering that you face can take control of you without your approval.
- Imagine, that nothing that happens can destroy you. Whatever happens, you will adapt.
I remember an earlier post at this point, "What to learn from the Borg".
- "Happiness is a Decision" (The Positivity Blog)
- "How to Find Happiness the Easy Way" (The Positivity Blog)
- "How to Find Greater Happiness in Your Life: 5 Vital Steps" (The Positivity Blog)
- "How to Find Happiness: 7 Timeless Tips from the Last 2500 Years" (The Positivity Blog)
- "How to Live Life to the Max with Beginner’s Mind" (Zenhabits)
- "The Only Guide to Happiness You’ll Ever Need" (Zenhabits)