2012-11-08

Relicty Mindsets

When I face a problem, I always start digging for the root problem - and - for the reason behind the whole problem branch I went down while searching for the root problem.

Well, this is nothing special and nothing new, pretty every psychologist does that with his/her patients.

What I understand now is: Searching for the reason of a problem is only relevant when the reason is still "alive" - if the source producing the problem is still "leaking".

Here is an example:
If you discover that you have a particular mindset that blocks you from being successful (such as "I am not strong enough, to do this or that" or "I am not intelligent enough for finishing university", ...), you might start digging how the hack you got to this prejudice or convintion.

The first question should be: Is this something old or is this mindset something that still gets fed by continuing (daily) experience?

After you got aware of a blocking mindset, you are already winning. If it is a relict of old times (maybe if you got punched by a stronger highschool peer or whatever) then you can be more efficient by not digging too much into the reasons. The reason is not that relevant any more if the reason has "fallen out" of your life already).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Martin,
Nice post and informative
its been a time since you last posted

lets connect

www.ahmadmardini.blogspot.com

Angelia 巫老師 said...

The funny thing is that I know the reasons, and I find out when my mind engages at work, I put all my problems behind easily, but temporarily. So I must keep myself busy, or I keep thinking about them and they easily trigger my sensitive nerve. I am terrified that some day I can't work anymore and I have to live with it in the rest of my life. And I figure out that only when I am successful in the goal I pursue can I free myself from the pain. What if I fail?

Unknown said...

i have learned something from you today, about blocking mindset and the root cause of the problem.
thanks, it is worth thinking about it.

http://smile-be-positive.blogspot.com/

Martin Wildam said...

@Angelia: When thoughts try to break through and it is difficult to put them to silence you should pay attention to them and solve the issue behind it.

Don't use work to "distract" you from your problems - those must be faced and if you like it or not - you should deal with them.

rugged breed said...

Wow, this is real, sometimes the reason is still alive why we still have problems, its all in the mind really, I've got to toughen my mindset in order to be successful, this is a nice post!

Zero Dramas