2008-11-20

KISS

Today two short posts were planned instead of a single longer one. And then I remembered a post at The Positivity Blog: Would You Like To Be a Guest Blogger?

It says that a guest post has to be at least 800 words. So I first felt it could be bad quality by writing only a short post. But thinking of it and remembering several things I learned I will stick to my original plan and the reason is the KISS-Principle - as nothing should be "implemented" (in the widest possible meaning) with more than necessary (but even not with less).

What does the K.I.S.S. principle mean? Here are several interpretations:
  • Keep it simple, stupid.
  • Keep it simple and stupid.
  • Keep it small and simple.
  • Keep it sweet and simple.
  • Keep it simple and straightforward.
  • Keep it short and simple.
  • Keep it simple and smart.
  • Keep it strictly simple.
  • Keep it speckless and sane.
  • Keep it sober and significant.
Related post: Who cares?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember watching a agile webcast sometime ago and they were talking about doing the simplest thing possible.

The phrase that always sticks in my mind after watching it was, 'It is do the simplest thing possible, not the stupidest thing!'.

Martin Wildam said...

Yes, meant is clearly the simplest thing and not the stupidest.

I think the reason, why "stupid" is also used here is because even a person with poor intelligence should be able to understand it.

I remember also a friend of mine who said (he is a software developer): If a function is longer than two screen pages then something is wrong.