There has been a lot written about how to change a habit (me included ;-) ). Important tips are for instance:
- Only one habit only at a time.
- Select a new different habit (as change is only possible if you have an alternative).
- Start with single step towards your desired life style or new habit (e.g. instead of not eating sweets just reduce your consume a little bit).
- If you can walk a different road for a month, it's done (if you didn't felt back to your old habit for a month then it's solved).
- Review your situation more often (weekly or at least monthly - once a year is clearly not enough).
When people talk about shocks that happen in childhood they are often talking about a key insight, a crucial experience that changed their view of the world and life goals or priorities in an instant. - Such experiences and insights are not always caused by a tragedy or accident.
As I read lately in the post "How to Think Better: The Top 8 Tips from the Last 2500 Years" at The Positivity Blog:
“People mistakenly assume that their thinking is done by their head; it is actually done by the heart which first dictates the conclusion, then commands the head to provide the reasoning that will defend it.”So if you want to change a habit (from deep in your heart and not because of some trend around) then you somehow already decided that you want to change, you already have an idea - a big picture - of what should be.
Anthony de Mello
Watch out for the key reason - for the key experience, that erases all doubts, that makes it completely clear why you should change as soon as possible.
- Stop smoking because it simply isn't healthy.
I never smoked but I got explained from a coroner (with pictures from lungs etc) what effects smoking have and why. In addition to the ingredients of the cigarette other dust and stuff included with air gets deposited in the lungs then.
- Being depressed after you got criticized is simply wrong.
You must be happy because of a honest feedback. If it is true then you have the opportunity to correct the problem and if it is wrong then you have the opportunity to get stronger representing your position.